Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mother's Day Excursions

After church on Mother's Day, we decided to take a little "explore." It was a beautiful day... there were some clouds, but overall, it was warm and sunny, and simply ripe for adventure.

So we all hopped in the car, turned the music up, and went on our merry way around the two or three hour loop - down our long country road to the river, up the river, and then home on the highway.

All, that is, except Roberta - who's still down in Texas volunteering at the International ALERT Academy! We missed her, though. :(

As I said... a gorrrrgeous day.

The river is currently down to almost record levels, because they've got the dam open down in Grand Coulee.

It's really neat, despite the yards and yards of mud and sand - because you can picture what our county would have looked like over seventy years ago!! The dam was built in 1941, and the Columbia River became the 150-mile long Franklin D. Roosevelt Lake - also called Lake Roosevelt - the largest reservoir and lake in Washington state.

A little bit of history and geography for you!! That's what comes of visiting the Grand Coulee museum nearly four years ago. I'm a homeschooler. Hence, I have a mind like a steel trap.

Now.... we continue.

1 comment:

Allix Ruby said...

Gorgeous day, you're telling me!! Man...I want to go back to Washington SO bad!! (The last time I visited my family there I was four...yeppers...its been awhile. ;D)