Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Graduation Ceremony & Following Proceedings

Greetings to all!
*
I have here, as you will soon see, the pictures of Joe's ALERT promotion ceremony!! As well as before and after random shots. :-) I was not there, so I will have to attribute the excellent photography to my dear Mother. (thanks, Mom!)
*
During the nine weeks of basic training, (I am pleased to announce) Joe gained three awards from the ALERT Academy. First of all, a Scripture Memory Award, for memorizing the whole book of I Peter. Secondly, an Endurance Hike Award (that was for the 24-hour hike!). And, finally, Personal Excellence award!! (this means that he exhibited outstanding character qualities, wrote in his journal every day, wrote all the required letters [and more!] and memorized all his verses on time.) May I note that, out of the 60-some recruits that graduated, Joe was among only 14 who were awarded Personal Excellence!!!! We're all SO proud of him!!
*
Thanks for stopping by our blog!! We hope to see you again soon.
*
For the rest of the family,
Hannah
_
For all the parents who had been waiting for nine weeks to see their sons, this sign (on the road to the barracks) stopped them rather abruptly. :-)

Heartbreak Hill. Doesn't look that steep, huh? You just try hiking it with a ton of stuff on your back at midnight! Ask Joe. :-)

Beautiful scenery out there, isn't it? But I don't think the recruits bothered with scenery much! :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of Psalms 18 "...The Lord is my Rock and my Fortress..."

A few weeks ago my dad and I visited Gettysburg. This ridge reminds me of the Hill Little Round Top. Col. Chamberlain and his 20th Maine men held the hill wile the Confederates charge up.
Col. Chamberlain earned the Medal of Honor for holding his poison.